The Cytherian Annexation
- Cytheria is an outlying Imperial World.
- The planet features rugged dry plains interspersed with dense alien jungle.
- It is sparsely populated, but home to an important Adeptus Mechanius research station.
- There is a Herzen Ridge research and communications zone
- It was important enough to be garrisoned by 7 regiments of Catachan Jungle Fighters.
- The deep jungles of Cytheria periodically erupt in poisonous sporepod blooms.
Deductions from the Background
- Cytheria lies in the Segmentum Ultima, probably near the northern end of the Damocles Gulf – close to Tau space.
- The operations of the Adeptus Mechanicus is key to the whole campaign. The research facility was important enough to guard with seven regiments of Catachan, and so the Priesthood of Mars will probably be keen to re-conquer the planet in order to guard its secrets. Likewise, if the Priesthood push to have the planet re-taken, the Inquisition will want to be interested in what the Mechanicus are up to.
- As the Cytherian annexation took place in the third sphere expansion, one might assume that the forces that invaded Cytheria were one of the more than dozen sub-fleets split off by Commander Shadowsun. Alternatively, Cytheria might have been one of the worlds conquered earlier during the expansion, when Commander Shadowsun “swept through a swathe of the Imperium’s frontier worlds” (Tau Codex, pg. 15).